The Archives is open by
appointment from 9:30
p.m.on Monday through Friday, except Japanese national holidays and the period
from December 28 through January 4. If you are intending to visit,
please read the conditions of access and the search room regulations.
Records can be ordered free of charge.
Archives, Institute for Monetary andEconomic Studies, Bank of Japan, 2-1-1 Nihonbashi-Hongokucho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN 103-8660
Conditions of access
1) Under the Public Records and Archives Management Act, which
came into effect on April 1, 2011, all requested records will be screened
beforehand to protect the confidentiality of information. Some records
may not be made available if they include, for example, personal information,
sensitive information about corporations and other entities, or information
posing a potential threat to the national and public security, or if they
are in poor physical condition or risk being damaged when handled. On the
availability of a specific record, users are advised to contact the Archives
well in advance and before making travel arrangements.
2) Upon arrival at the Bank of Japan, users will be asked by
our security staff to show a photo ID for security purposes.
Search room regulations
1) Photocopying is not permitted. Users are permitted to use their own
cameras (including cell phones) without flash to make copies. Users may
ask the Archives’ staff to make copies, for which payment will be necessary.
2) Pencils must be used at all times.
3) No food or drink is permitted in the search room.
4) Bags or other belongings must be placed in a locker and are not permitted
to be brought into the search room.